Athabasca University was North America’s first online university. It was a risk-taker, boldly creating opportunities for education and research that no other university dared to try. The University’s Imagine: Transforming Lives, Transforming Communities Strategic Plan and the Strategic Research Plan craft a vision for our future research endeavors. The two Plans provide direction for the integration of research and teaching across the academy and for training the next generation of researchers. The Research Centre is guided by five strategic research goals:
- Beyond open: Reputation for open scholarship, data, and scholarly achievements
- Beyond open: Researchers, including learners, impact their community through research
- Beyond place: Reputation for balanced disciplinary and interdisciplinary research that optimizes social, economic, and environmental impact on communities
- Beyond the norm: Reputation for scholarly activity, dissemination, and impact reflecting our comprehensive research university status
- Beyond the now: Adaptable and innovative research areas of excellence that optimize social, economic and environmental impact.
The Research Centre is the hub of all research activity at Athabasca University (AU). The centre serves as a resource and provides support for basic and applied research within the university.
Learn more about research at AU.
What we do
We work with researchers throughout their research project lifecycle, from proposal development to finishing a project.
To facilitate and promote AU research activities, we provide assistance with:
- publicizing prospective funding sources
- the development of academic-industry partnerships
- the preparation and submission of research grant applications
- the management of grant/award funding
- financial monitoring and accounting
- recruitment and hiring of research-related personnel
- set up and execution of contracts
- submission of required financial reports to research sponsors
- the processing of ethics review for research involving humans and animals
- the planning and hosting of research-related events
We also provide administrative support to various committees charged with the adjudication of applications for internal research funding.
Dr. Jeff Vallance, AU's Canada Research Chair in Health Promotion and Chronic Disease Management, has long been interested in research looking at the health impacts of physical activity and, more recently, too much sitting. Is sitting the new smoking? Not by a long shot!
Research Centre Orientation
Updated May 09 2019 by Research