Applying for Ethics and/or Internal Funding
Instructions for (Graduate Students)
- Please review these instructions in their entirety. Make sure to SAVE your application (often) and as you complete each tab. Your application will not go forward for review without the required approval; therefore, please pay attention to the “Approvals” tab to ensure submission of the application progresses through the proper approval process.
- AU Research Portal times-out periodically. If the Research Portal times out during your completion of an application, it is possible that some comments will be lost. Please consider drafting longer text responses in a WordPad or NotePad file first and then copy/paste the responses into the required fields. DO NOT USE A WORD file for this activity, as there tends to be formatting issues when doing so.
Submitting an Application for Ethics and/or Internal Funding:
- To submit an application (internal funding) please log into the AU Research Portal using your username (complete email address) and password. Next, click “Login”.
To create or reset your password, enter your username (complete email address), then select “Reset Password”. You will receive a system-generated email with instructions and next steps. If you do not receive this email, please check your spam filters.
- If you do not have a Research Portal profile, click “Create an Account”.
- Once logged into the Research Portal, the first screen you see is your “dashboard”. Click “APPLY NEW”.
- Scrolling up or down, click on the name of the application form you wish to complete.
- The application form is comprised of multiple tabs. Each of these tabs constitutes part of the application. With the exception of the “Project Sponsor Info” tab, (all other tabs requires your information). The Research Centre will complete the “Project Sponsor Info” tab.
- In the “Project Info” tab, enter the project title, start and end dates of the research project and specific keywords.
- In the “Project Team Info” tab, the Principal Investigator (PI) section will auto-populate with your information that is “pulled” from your profile within Research Portal Investigator Master Record (IMR).
- If there are other project team members, scroll down to view the “Other Project Member Info” section. Click “ADD NEW” to add names of the project team members. When adding project team members, ALWAYS click “Search Profiles” to access the list of names that are available within the Investigator Master Record (IMR). DO NOT manually enter names of project team members, as this will cause errors within the system. Project team members have the ability to view and amend an application, NOT submit an application.
- After clicking “Search Profiles”, type in the last or first name of the team member. Click “Select” to add the team member profile to your application. Click on the down arrow next to the “Role of Project”, to select the project team member’s role. Repeat this process until you have added all of the team members. If you cannot locate a researcher’s profile, contact the Research Centre at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Remember…click SAVE before you move to the next tab.
- Begin answering the series of questions within each tab of the “application tab”. Scroll down to the bottom of each tab to ensure that you have seen/answered all of the questions.
- Use the “Attachments” tab to upload documents that need to accompany your application. Please ensure you use any templates provided (i.e., budget form, timeline form).
- Should you see the “Errors” tab, this will indicate that there are fields within the application that require a response. The tab will disappear once all required fields are completed.
- Click on the “Approvals” tab. Under the “Other Approvals” section, please scroll up/down to find your supervisor’s name. Click on the “Active” box to the left of the supervisor’s name. Now you can submit your application.
- Once submitted, the application routes directly to the supervisor selected. The supervisor will route the application to Office of Research Services either approving it or asking for revisions.
- After clicking “SUBMIT”, you will receive an email confirming that your application has successfully routed to the next signing authority as described above.
- Workflow of the application is visible within the “Logs” tab. Activities and milestones are date stamped automatically by the system as it progresses through the application process until completion of the project. Applicants are not required to provide information on this tab.