Graduate Student Instructions for the Research Portal
As a graduate student, you will use the Research Portal to apply for graduate student funding or ethics review. This page will show you how.
You should also review the general information for all users before you begin your application.
Submitting an ethics or funding application
- Log in to the Research Portal.
- Select “APPLY NEW” in the upper-right corner.
- Select the application you wish to complete from the list provided.
- Review the application’s tabs and subtabs. Make note of the tabs that will require a longer response, as you should compose those responses in Notepad or TextEditor, then paste them into the portal.
- Enter the project title, start and end dates of your project, and specific keywords in the Project Info tab. You do not need to fill in the Related Certifications section of the funding application.
- Tip: You can select keywords from the list provided, or type your own in the
box. Be sure to click the “Add” button for each keyword.
- Go to the Project Team Info tab. Your information should appear in the Principal Investigator (PI) section.
- If you have additional team members, add them in the Other Project Member Info section. Do not add your supervisor as a project team member.
- Click the “Add New” button in the Other Project Member Info section.
- Click the “Search Profiles” button. Always use this button to add team members. Do not manually enter names.
- Search for your team member by first or last name, or by browsing the full list. Click the “Select” button to add a team member to your application. If you can’t find a profile for the team member you need to add, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- You will now see the team member’s profile. Click the down arrow in the Role in Project field to select the team member’s role. You must assign each team member a role in the project.
- Click the “Save” button.
- Repeat the process for each team member.
- Funding applications only: Skip the Project Sponsor tab. The Research Centre will complete this tab for you.
- Go to the Application tab. You will find a number of subtabs. Be sure to complete them all, scrolling down to the bottom of each subtab to be sure you’ve answered all the questions. Save after each subtab.
- Use the Attachments tab to upload required documents.
- See the Checklist subtab in the Application tab for a list.
- The Attachments tab also includes templates for certain forms. Please use these when they are available.
- Go to the Approvals tab. Find your supervisor’s name in the Other Approvals list, and click the checkbox to the left of the name.
- If you don’t see the Errors tab, you can click the “Submit” button to submit your application.
- You will receive an email confirming that your application has successfully been routed to your supervisor.
- You can keep track of the progress of your application through the Logs tab. You don’t need to provide any information on this tab.
- Please note that once your application has been submitted, it will be located under Applications: Under Review in the Principal Investigator section of your home page.
Ethics Applications: What happens next?