Athabasca University’s research institutes focus scholarly research in a specific thematic area (research cluster). They link networks of AU researchers to provincial, national and international researchers who are
investigating similar topics.
Athabasca River Basin Research Institute (ARBRI)
The Athabasca River Basin Research Institute is an interdisciplinary research centre that studies the Athabasca River Basin and its people from a broad range of perspectives. The institute:
- helps identify gaps in knowledge
- highlights research opportunities
- enhances understanding of key issues
- supports the development of policies that will benefit all who have a stake in the basin
ARBRI also manages the Repository of the Athabasca River Basin.
ARBRI’s research includes initiatives related to society, culture, the environment and other aspects of the Athabasca Basin.
Our researchers’ expertise includes:
- sociology (sustainable rural communities)
- philosophy (ethical decision-making on environmental issues)
- workplace and community studies
- business (leadership and entrepreneurship)
- science (aurora studies, remote data gathering, glaciation and water levels, and mathematical modelling)
- Indigenous studies (legal and traditional knowledge)
ARBRI is also home to AU’s two Campus Alberta Innovation Program Chairs.
Technology Enhanced Knowledge Research Institute (TEKRI)
AU’s Technology Enhanced Knowledge Research Institute has a two-fold mission:
- to promote research and development of technologies that enhance the advancement, application and transfer of human knowledge
- to promote the growth of a community of researchers at AU
TEKRI conducts basic research in computer science, health, and the humanities, with a focus on seven key areas:
- Open Education
- Social Computing
- Mobile and Ubiquitous Computing
- Semantic Technologies
- Adaptivity and Personalization
- Design-Based Research
- Learning Analytics and Knowledge
Our researchers also collaborate with communities and corporations to test and transfer these technologies for real-world settings.
TEKRI researchers are AU faculty with established international reputations in the development and application of technology.