Instructions for Supervisors of Graduate Students
How to Review an Application (ethics or internal funding) in the AU Research Portal
- MAC USERS: The Safari browser does not allow the necessary pop-ups to complete the approval process. Please use a different browser to avoid this error.
- AU Research Portal times out periodically. If the Research Portal times out during your review of an application, it is possible that some of your comments may be lost. Please consider drafting longer text responses in a WordPad or NotePad file first and then copy/paste into the “Comments” box to complete your review. DO NOT USE A WORD file for this activity, as there tends to be formatting issues when doing so.
- You should have received a system-generated email notification that a graduate student has submitted an application (ethics or internal funding) application that requires your review and approval. The subject line reads, “You have been assigned as a reviewer/other signing authority”. **If you have not received it, please check your spam filters**
- To review and approve a graduate student application (ethics or internal funding), please log into to the AU Research Portal using your username (complete email address) and password.
To create or reset your password, enter your username (complete email address), then select “Reset Password”. You will receive a system-generated email with instructions and next steps. If you do not receive this email, please check your spam filters.
- Once logged into the AU Research Portal, any files requiring your attention will be highlighted in red text under the heading “Other Signing Authority”.
- Next, click on the red text.
- Click “VIEW” just left of the File No.
- With the file now open, you will see that the file is comprised of multiple tabs. Each of these tabs constitutes part of the application process. With the exception of the “Project Sponsor Info” tab, (all other tabs require your review). The Research Centre will complete the “Project Sponsor Info” tab. Any documents accompanying the application are accessible in the “Attachments” tab.
- After reviewing the application, click the “Approvals” tab. Locate the “Other Approvals” section then scroll down until you find your name. Click the “Approval Process” button to the left of your name.
- If you are ready to approve the application, in the “Comments” box type APPROVE, click “Approve” and click “Submit”. The application will then route to the Research Centre for processing.
- If revisions and/or changes are required, type your comments in the “Comments” box, click “Forward” and click “Submit”. The application will then route to the Research Centre, after which time, the application will be returned to the applicant. The applicant will address the comments and resubmit the application.
REVIEWING A REVISED APPLICATION:
- The Research Portal does not allow the applicant to reroute the application directly to the supervisor. Rather, the Research Centre will alert the supervisor via email that the application is available for final review.
- To access the revised application, log into the AU Research Portal, click on “Other Signing Authority”, then click on “Applications: Post Review”. After reviewing the revised application, please email your final approval to the Research Centre. Your “full approval email” will be uploaded into the “Attachments” tab, prior to moving the application forward to the appropriate review committee.
For ethics applications: Research Ethics Officer at email@example.com
For internal funding applications: Internal Funding Administrator at firstname.lastname@example.org