Instructions for AU Staff/External Researchers
Completing the Application for Ethical Review – Human Ethics
- PLEASE review these instructions in their entirety. Make sure to SAVE your submission frequently (at minimum as you complete each tab). Your application will not go forward for review without supervisor approval. Careful attention to the “Approvals” tab will ensure this process with flow automatically.
- If your supervisor has any comments or requests for revisions/changes, your application will be routed back to you by the Research Ethics Officer to revise and resubmit.
- For Mac users: the Safari browser doesn’t allow the necessary pop-ups to happen to complete the ‘approval’ process. Please use a different browser to avoid this error.
- The Research Portal times out periodically, therefore we suggest you draft longer text responses in a wordpad or notepad and cut and paste into the appropriate section of the application. If the Research Portal does time out and you haven’t saved, data will be lost.
You may contact the Research Ethics Office by email at email@example.com or by phone at 1-800-788-9041, ext. 6718.
To Complete Your Application for Human Ethics Review
- Login to the AU Research Portal using your email address and password information. Please refer to the Registration section for further information on how to obtain an account.
- Once you are logged in to your portal and on your home screen, choose "Apply New" (hear the upper right of the screen) to begin a new application.
- Scrolling up or down, select the name of the application form you wish to complete and click to open.
- The application form is comprised of multiple tabs. Each of these tabs MUST BE completed before the application can be submitted. Please remember to SAVE as you move from one tab to the next.
- Start by filling out the Project Info including Project Title, Start and End dates.
- Complete the Project Team Info and include any team members that may be part of this research project by clicking on "Add New". Your information, as the Principal Investigator (PI), will be auto-populated.
IMPORTANT! ALWAYS choose “Search Profiles” before adding in a project team member. DO NOT hand type this information – choose from the profiles already logged into the portal. If you cannot find a profile for the team member you need to add, contact the Research Ethics Officer who will assist you.
To do so, please click, "Add New" in the "Other Project Member Info". Click "Search Profiles" to find the name of the team member you wish to add.
Click "Select" to add other project team members’ profiles to your application.
In the "Role in the Project" field, click on the down arrow to display the options. You must then choose the applicable role (e.g. co-investigator).
- Click on the Application for Ethical Review tab and complete the questions. Check each tab within the application form and fill in all required fields. Ensure you scroll down to the bottom of the page and answer all the required questions on each tab. Scroll back to the top of the page to continue to the next tab. Save before you move on to each new tab!
- Use the Attachments tab to include/upload additional documents that need to accompany your application:
- The Logs tab can be used to follow the application through the approval process. No information is needed from the researcher on this tab, dates will automatically be entered throughout the application process.
- The Errors tab indicates fields that need to be completed before the application can be successfully submitted. The tab will disappear once all required fields have been completed at which time the application can be successfully submitted.
- Once you have completed all required information, SAVE your application! To SUBMIT your application use the top, right hand "Submit" button. When you click "Submit" the application will automatically be forwarded to the Research Centre for further processing. You will receive an email confirming when your application has been successfully submitted and will be able to follow the application through the approval process by checking the Logs tab.
Updated November 24 2016 by Student & Academic Services